Sunday 24 May 2015

New York

Yesterday I started my day at the United Nations and then just wandered back to my hotel.  Along the way I passed a couple of street markets and Grand Central Station  which is one of the iconic buildings in New York.  One of my nephews had asked about Madison Square Gardens so I decided to do a tour.  It is a truly magnificent stadium with a 'playoff' hockey match on tonight.  Another Australian couple on the tour had bought tickets to this game and they were 400 each ticket.

Today I walked the Brooklyn Bridge which is so crowded tuat you literally have to stop if someone is taking a picture.  There is a bike lane and a walkway and there in reality is not enough room for both.  It also does not help that there are also police cars parked on the bridge as well.  Also there are lights protuding from the bridge and people have for some  reason attached padlocks to them.  I did another small walk aroind Brooklyn which just confirmed how pretty it is with the storybook  hoises painted in  quite  pretty colours.  After this I went to Fraunces Tavern in the  Wall Street district which is the tavern  where Gorge Washington held his farewell dinner after the British had left.  It is quite a strange feeling standing in a room that George Washington has stood in.  I then headed to the building where  he was sworn in as President. 

Oh that pesky hop on hop off tour I did - well they said it was good luck to rub the Bull at Bowling Green - of course I think  this is nonsense - but I still race down and rubbed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment