Thursday 21 May 2015

New York

I have been in New York for two days now and am very happy not to have to pack up again apart from coming home.  I am staying at The Seafarers International in East 15th Street.  This must be the bargain of New York as for an ensuite room I am only paying US 125 a night -and it and the area seem very safe.  It is just near Union Square where a few times a week there is a market where the farmers , bakers and artists bring things to sell - I went yesterday and it was great fun.  I am on the hop on hop off tour for three days - the comany gave me a free river hop on and hop off pass for nothing - I don't know whether this was because I complained that much about the wait to change over my voucher or they gave them to everyone.  I went to Ground Zero and saw the Freedom Tower - which is partially occupied and they are opening the top three floors as an Observation Deck next week.  I must while this is a beautiful building and the view from the top floors would be magnificent I would not feel comfortable or safe going up to these floors.  The actual memorial is very beautiful and the water makes it strangely peaceful.  There is a little church just near Groung Zero where there is a memorial - aparently parts of the planes and even photocopiers from the offices landed in the graveyard of this church.  There is a particular part in the  hurch whers the photos of those who xied have been placex which is truly sad.  At the museum one father tellz the story of his two sons, one  policeman and the other a fireman, who died durng the attack.

Today I dix my free hop on hop off tour on the water and it was lovely relaxing with a glass of red watching the sights and hearing the commentary.  While we were on the water President Obama's helicopter took off - apparently he was in New York last night.  After the cruise I headex of to the American Museum of Finance and saw all the really old bank notes and heard about the history of Wall Street and the market - I was in my glory.  Interestinvly Wall Street got it's name because a wall was placed around the area as protection against invaders - presumably British - and people would walk along the road and it became known as Wall Street. 

I decided to wL

No comments:

Post a Comment