Monday 11 May 2015

Hello fom Detroit

Well have the dulcet tones of Elvis and have arrived in Detroit.  Memphis was just wonderful and uch more interesting than I imagined.  Did the town tour on Saturday and found iut some interesting facts - for example you can stay in the Housing type accommodation that Elvis and his family lived in when they moved from Tupelo   to Memphis for a mere 2500 a night with a minimum stay of 2 nights - it is quite q good address now but I can't imagine paying that much for anything.  Also saw the Peacock Hotel march - this is quite famous and the crowds that go to watch it and quite incredible.  Apparently this march is over 100 years old.  The ducks live up in the Penthouse floor and at 11am  and 5pm they are brought down in the lift and waddle along the red carpet and climb the stairs into the water fountain.  The proceedings go for at least 15 m7nutes in the build up to the waddle down the red carpet.  One of the people on the tour asked what happens to the ducks at the end of the three m8nths and the tour guide said they are retired - when pressed as to where he said he thought the word Pecking was in the site!   I enjoyed a Missippee Riverboat cruise which was very relaxing witha nic3 glass of red.  I sampled the famous barbeque ribs of Memphis and they were as fabulous as people have said.  I actually went back to Gracelands on Sunday afternoon and the experience could not have been more different than my first visit - on this second visit I was the ony person in both the lounge and dining room - I felt as if it was just me and Elvis!  
Travelled to Detroit today - we were delayed taking off in Chicago because the pilot was late arriving at the airport!  The airline thanked us for our patience after we had boarded and I thought it was not really patience when you are locked in an aeroplane.  I must admit while there is a lot on the internet abot how unsafe Detroit is I went for a bit of a walk when I arrived and felt quite safe.  Off to the Henry Ford Museum tomorrow to see the Kennedy assassination limousine.
J

No comments:

Post a Comment