Friday 22 May 2015

New York 3

Was intending to go to the Dakota Apartment block today - but then remembered I never really liked John Lennon anyway -so headed to Brooklyn instead.  Brooklyn is now very fashionable and home to the likes of Sarah Jessica Parker.  It is a truly lovely place and the pier is lovely for just relaxing and taking in the skylight of Manhattan.  The real purpose of my trip, however, was to see the New York Transit Museum - which must be the best value tourist attraction in New York.  The Museum has two levels - the top one where all the photos and interactive items which I must admit I found quite beyond me  but the kids there had no trouble with at all.  There was a history of how people paid their fare - which sounds really boring but was fascinating.  The real gems were downstairs where they had rzilwzy carriages dating back to the 1900's - one of which even had fans on the roof to keep passengers cool.  The main difference that I noticed was the comfort of the seats of the older trains.  One of the carriages was that old that you had to all enter at the end of the carriage via one door.  It is truly amazing to sit on seats that someone sat on so long ago.  I could have spent much longer there but wanted to find the Brooklyn Promenade - which sadly was elusive albeit I saw it for miles when on the bus!  This was the last day of my hop on hop off tour today which I must has proved unreliable at best.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Judith, Sounds like it's been a wonderful trip. Have a safe trip home. Cheers, Sharon

    ReplyDelete