Thursday 5 April 2018

Leaving Santorini

Well I am now back in much colder London.  On the last day in Santorini I went back to the Prehistoric Museum to just wander around and look at the items.  I find that when you read all the notes attached to the items you miss really looking at them.  I was intrigued by the tablet that had the Linear A script on it - I have seen the Linear B before but not Linear A .  They look similar to my untrained eye and I was wondering why they have only been able to descipher Linear B.  They also had a bathtub which was tiny by our standards but then I remembered the Guide said they were ony average height of 5'3".    when having lunch on my last day I was gazing out over the sea and noticed people arriving - which in itself was not unusual - but the fact that those helping them with the luggage virtually run down the pathway steps with these big cases on their shoulders was.

London is much colder so I went to the Tower of London and did the Beefeaters tour - I must admit it worries me a bit the gruesome tales of the executions with children on the Tour.  Then off to Kensington Palace to see the new Queen Victoria exhibition.  The jewelery is just breathtaking - but what I found really interesting was seeing her hand writing and the clothes her and her husband wore - she was much tinier than I thought.  Then I had a print out of a great fire of London walk and was excited to be going to the place where it started.  Would you believe when I got to the plaque in Pudding Lane it said the fire started 'near here' - what does that mean 10 ' away, 20' away - I was so disappointed.

It is a rare sunny day today so I am off to wander around London.

No comments:

Post a Comment